A 71-year-old man died in Georgia after he fell into a campfire in a “freak accident,” officials said.
The unidentified man had been staying as a guest on the property Saturday in Franklin when authorities believe he fell into the fire while trying to get out of his camping chair, news station WXIA reported.
The owner of the property returned home to find the man’s body near a tree and the woods ablaze.
Fire officials used an extinguisher to put out the blazes, and discovered the man’s phone and wallet in the pit, WXIA reported.
“This freak accident gives us heavy hearts as we pray for the loved ones impacted and we continue to investigate this case,” John King, Georgia’s Office of Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner, said in a statement.
King’s office is investigating the deadly incident with help from other Heard County agencies, the outlet reported.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.